Wednesday 7 March 2012

Picking Blue Bells

So I ransacked a local park a while ago and stock some of their blue bells. I figured they wouldn’t miss them seeing as the park grass was being over taken with them anyways.

As usual I researched heaps in them and want to try doing some more planning with them (they didn't take the first time around). 

Here's some steps to take if you want to plant your own!

“Brightening hillsides and fields in spring and summer, Virginia bluebells are one of the most iconic American wildflowers. Gardeners love them because they are virtually maintenance free and attract butterflies from miles around. For added variety, some gardeners choose the Aspen or Alpine bluebell, which can reach 3 feet in height.”

Step 1
 Water your bluebells sparingly. Allow the top inch or so of the soil to dry out before watering bluebells when they are in bloom. Once blooms die by the end of summer, these flowers do not require any supplemental water.

Step 2
Spread a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch around the base of your bluebells. As woodland plants they like cool roots.

Step 3
Fertilize your bluebells in early spring if the soil has low fertility or if you are growing them outside of their recommended growing zone. Use a balanced fertilizer at a rate of 1 pound of fertilizer per 100 square feet.

Sounds pretty easy right? I'll show you my results after I do my planting (in July!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! I read each and every comment :)