Seeing as I am doing a series on baking it might seem a little odd that my health tip for this week would be one about sugar! BUT speaking from experience having too much sugar in your system can cause some serious problems! Now baking and snacks are all good and wonderful, but everything in moderation! So here are some things to think about before going overboard on the sugar...
In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis, excess sugar may result in a number of other significant consequences. The following is a listing of some of sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety of medical journals and other scientific publications.
1) Excess sugar can suppress your immune system and impair your defences against infectious disease.
2) Excess sugar upsets the mineral relationships in your body: causes chromium and copper deficiencies and interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
3) Excess sugar can cause can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline, hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4) Excess sugar can produce a significant rise in total cholesterol, triglycerides and bad cholesterol and a decrease in good cholesterol.
5) Excess sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function.
6) Sugar feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, rectum, pancreas, lung, gallbladder and stomach.
7) Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose and can cause reactive hypoglycaemia.
8) Sugar can weaken eyesight.
9) Sugar can cause premature aging.
10) Excess sugar can cause your saliva to become acidic, tooth decay, and periodontal disease.
11) Sugar can cause autoimmune diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis.
12) Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).
13) Excess sugar can cause gallstones.
14) Excess sugar can cause varicose veins.
15) Excess sugar can cause a decrease in your insulin sensitivity thereby causing an abnormally high insulin levels and eventually diabetes.
16) Sugar can lower your Vitamin E levels.
17) Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
18) Sugar can interfere with your absorption of protein.
19) Excess Sugar causes food allergies.
20) Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
There was a total of 76 points on the negative effects of sugar!! That’s a lot of reasons to watch your sugar but I think the 20 I listed should be enough proof that we really should watch it with how much sugar we take in daily. A little goes a long way!